Hellenic League

Chairman`s Cup

Saturday 29th October


Letcombe welcomed back striker Josh Fowler after missing the last month with a damaged shoulder, although he started the match on the bench.

Letcombe dominated possession in the first quarter and had a number of corners, but their best chance fell to Jordan Davies, and visiting keeper Joshua Gannon did well to tip his fierce volley over the bar. Lewis Monaghan had a chance for Didcot, but his well struck shot was straight at home keeper Harry Whitehead. Aaran Mudie headed over the bar from a corner for Letcombe, but Didcot almost took the lead when the elusive Mackenzie Hedges found space on the left, but Whitehead dived to finger-tip his goalbound shot around the post. Letcombe finally made their pressure tell with five minutes of the half remaining, Ben Hummel scoring from close range after Calum Pryce had cut the ball back. The hosts added a second soon afterwards, Jordan Davies scoring after good work from Kieran Kerby. There was still time for Gannon to save well from Davies, and Luke Stone fired over the bar from close range from the resulting corner.

The first half of the second period was fairly even, but Letcombe scored number three midway through the half, Davies lifting the ball over Gannon from 30 yards. Josh Fowler scored soon after coming off the bench, placing the ball past Gannon as he raced clear of a tiring defence. Kerby shot over the bar from a Fowler cross before Davies completed his hat trick, flicking the ball over Gannon from 10 yards. Redd Pratley split the Didcot defence with a long pass and Fowler coolly flicked the ball past the exposed Gannon to complete the scoring.

The scoreline suggests that this was an easy victory for Letcombe, but four of the goals came in the last 20 minutes, and one wonders what the result may have been if Whitehead had not made two excellent saves for Letcombe with the game goalless. Credit should be given to the young Didcot team who continued to try to play good football. They have a number of talented lads, but Letcombe were a lot stronger physically. Letconbe go marching on, and travel to Division One team Stonehouse Town next Saturday in the Hellenic Challenge Cup. Having beaten Abingdon United in the previous round, they will travel with optimism of another famous victory.

written by Des Williams, Letcombe FC

By admin