MALVERN Town were commanding winners with a 4-1 triumph over Calne Town.

The early action saw the ball half-cleared to Lewis Platt whose effort was weak before the visitors cut us open with a neat passage of play which ended with Talmash lifting the ball over from a good position.

As Matt Turner looked to pick out Joe Bates across the area, the ‘keeper was alert to make a good claim.

The next raid saw Bates’ strike deflected for a corner which picked out Curtis Smith whose stinging effort was bravely blocked in front of goal.

After Harry Clark’s inviting cross was scrambled clear, the attack stayed alive as Reynolds fed Turner in front of goal and he tapped home from close range to open the scoring in the 17th minute.

We were playing some sharp football and asking all of the questions as good link-up play between Joe Bullock and Platt saw the latter cross for Reynolds who put his header just wide and then Turner cut inside from the left before seeing his strike saved.

A powerful drive from Clark was well watched by Edwards in the visitors’ goal who then denied Turner.

With ten minutes to go until the break, another pacy break ended with Reynolds seeing his strike deflected narrowly wide.

Some tremendous skill from Clark saw him make room for a lifted effort from distance that went inches wide and then Platt was denied from the edge of the area as Edwards did well to tip his effort over.

We deservedly doubled our advantage on 41 minutes when Bullock and Bates combined to set up Clark for a sublime finish.

The visitors saw a free-kick from Kirk fly over before a dipping effort from Mills landed just over at the end of the opening period as we went in at the break two goals to the good.

It didn’t take long after the restart for us to further extend our advantage when Clark broke out wide and his low ball into the path of Bates saw him make no mistake in front of goal.

A corner caused concern for the visitors as Clark’s low strike through a crowd of players was gathered at the second attempt by the ‘keeper.

The fourth goal arrived on 54 minutes when a sloppy pass out of defence was seized upon by Turner who unselfishly set up Bates to fire home.

On his return to the club, Kyonn Evans came off the bench and straight into the action as he was played through only for the ‘keeper to do well to make the save.

After the visitors went down to ten men with the dismissal of McStravick, they had Edwards to thank once more as he thwarted Reynolds with a brave save.

With ten minutes to go, Evans teed up Clark who was denied by the ‘keeper and then the visitors went down the other end as Gleed, who moments earlier had gone close, found Talmash who was adjudged to have been brought down by Keiron Blackburn.

The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot as Talmash picked himself up and pulled a goal back.

As the clock ticked down, Bates and Reynolds had efforts beaten away by the ‘keeper in quick succession as we secured a commanding return to winning ways.

HILLSIDERS: Blackburn, Smith (Reeve 76), Platt, Timmins, J. Sauntson, Harris (L. Loader 65), Bates, Bullock, Turner (Evans 65), Reynolds, Clark. Subs not used: J. Febery, Chowns Higgs.


Goal(s): Turner, Clark, Bates (2)

By admin