Hellenic League Division Two South: Saturday 23rd October

A very disappointing performance for Letcombe who were soundly beaten by a better side on the day. Letcombe welcomed back Chad Abrams but were missing important midfielder Dan Pear, and their cause was not helped by injuries to two central defenders in the first quarter of the match.

An even opening 5 minutes saw Jamie Wallin shoot narrowly wide for Letcombe, but the hosts scored after 7 minutes with their first real attack. A long ball enabled Ali Thorp to outpace a square defence and lob the ball over the advancing Jack North.

The influential Nathan Haresnape limped off soon afterwards for Letcombe, and was replaced by James Wright. Harry Way hit the top of the bar with a curling free kick for Hungerford, and then a clash of heads resulted in Bailey Abrams also leaving the field with a cut forehead for the visitors, resulting in a positional reshuffle with Sam Mulvey moving into the defence from his usual midfield position.

Both sides created openings in the closing minutes of the half, with home keeper Charlie McCready saving bravely from James Wallin, whilst at the other end North blocked a Thorp effort at close range.

A Josh Fowler cross for Letcombe early in the second half was just too high for Greg Nutley, but Danny Jachacz scored for the Swifts with a firm back post header a few minutes later and effectively ended the game as a contest as Letcombe heads dropped.

A poor defensive pass allowed Fabio Pinto to score a third for Hungerford, and he added a fourth with a header at the back post.

Letcombe’s best chance of the game came in a rare attach, but McCready blocked Fowler’s effort with his body. Substitute Cameron Sanchez cut inside from the right and drove a low shot just inside the near post in added time to complete an emphatic and deserved victory for the Swifts.

Letcombe entertain Shrivenham Development next Saturday 30th October, and will hope that they will have a fully fit squad to choose from.

By admin