Letcombe FC champions: Photo Credit Letcombe FCLetcombe FC champions: Photo Credit Letcombe FC


Letcombe were finally crowned champions of Division Two Central after a narrow victory over Headington Amateurs, the only team that could overhaul them for the title. With rain falling steadily throughout the match, one part of the pitch cut up badly, leaving the groundsman with plenty of work to do. Although this was Letcombe`s last home league game of the season, they have the biggest game in their history when they entertain Worcester City in the Marsh challenge cup semi final on 20th April. Letcombe will hope for plenty of dry weather in the next two weeks.

Letcombe took the lead after seven minutes. A long pass found Kieran Kerby on the right, who sent a quick cross to Josh Fowler who beat the advancing keeper Harry Jenkins to the ball and lobbed it over his head into the empty net. Headington were claiming a penalty ten minutes later after a challenge from Jack Heggie, but referee Andy Wertheim waved away their appeals. Letcombe increased their lead soon afterwards when Jordan Davies drove a low shot just inside the post from 20 yards. Aiden Robbins had the ball in the Letcombe net five minutes when he was quickest to react after home keeper Harry Whitehead was unable to hold a low shot on the slippery surface, but he was offside from the original strike. The visitors reduced the arrears as half time approached, Mason Amos running onto a through pass to place the ball past Whitehead.

Letcombe scored 15 minutes into the second half when Calum Pryce raced away on the left, went round the onrushing Jenkins, and then squared the ball to Jordan Davies who tapped the ball into the empty net. Headington were not to be denied, and 2 minutes later Callum Emmet scored with a low shot from the edge of the penalty area. Letcombe had a great chance to make the game safe when Pryce was fouled, but Jenkins dived to his left to save the resulting penalty from James Webster. Headington went in search of an equaliser, but their cause was not helped when two players were sent to the sin bin for the last 8 minutes, leaving them to play the remainder of the game with only nine men.

Letcombe were relieved to hear the final whistle, when the celebrations could start. This game was no classic in difficult conditions, but the result was all important to the hosts, who could reflect on a victorious season with three league games still to play

by Des Williams, Letcombe FC

By admin